Thursday, December 15, 2011

A Gift That Keeps On Giving

I’ve reached a point in my adult life where it is truly more rewarding to give than to receive.  The holiday season has become an inspiring and thoughtful process, as I aim to gift the very special people in my life with things (not necessarily literal) they will sincerely appreciate.  I have been blessed with abundance in my life, and great gifts, in my opinion, are not so much to fulfill the act of having as they are the ability to utilize.  You all know by now (I hope) that health is my passion, and for the entirety of my life I will encourage this subject upon most people.  Some fresh DIY ideas…

Infused Olive Oil
  • Get a high quality, cold/expeller-pressed version
  • We all use it, it is a much healthier alternative to canola oil, it’s delicious with most things, and it is a supremely good-for-you fat that you should be consuming more of
  • Pick some zesty flava combos!  I’ve created a Texas-style jalapeño/garlic/paprika and an herbal rosemary/thyme
  • Buy a pretty, durable glass bottle, use a funnel to fill it with olive oil, and add tiny chopped bits of desired flavors; let it sit for a week before gifting so that the flavors soak in, and garnish the bottle with a ribbon, an ornament perhaps, or dried lavender sprigs tied into a bow—this gift is aesthetically appealing and so incredibly usable
Homemade French Salad Dressing
  • Genius idea stolen from my mom, grandmother, and older generations beyond
  • I’ve tweaked the age-old family recipe to make it slightly healthier but equally tasty
  • Same as above, gift in an elegant bottle and garnished accordingly
½ cup raw apple cider vinegar
1 tsp sea salt
2 tsp pepper
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp honey or agave
2 tsp Dijon mustard
*mix ingredients, then add:
1 ½ cup grapeseed oil
1 clove minced garlic
*store in refrigerator, shake well before using

Somebody in your life will appreciate a gift like this!  It is thoughtful, economically efficient, and creative...and my brilliant idea is now yours to borrow.  If you're really looking to impress, pair it with a gift certificate to YOGA; even for the skeptics, everyone knows it makes you feel good, look good, and you get to check out attractive people in minimal clothing :-)

XO,
E

No comments:

Post a Comment